Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I suck at painting, y'all.

     If you're a fan of The Dark Tower series like me, I'm sure you've read the following; "Blaine is a pain and that's the truth."  You could change "Blaine" for "Painting" and you've captured my feelings on our little project today.  Let me just say, I suck at painting.  We didn't even full-on paint, we only painted a chair rail and some base boards, but I sucked all the same.  My husband cheered me on though.  "Cheering me on" meaning he was hovering over me frowning to himself only to smile when I looked back at him.  I assume there was a glimmer of hope in my eye, a will to do well at this and he didn't want to extinguish my flame.  If you're reading this babe, thanks for that.  It gave me the drive to paint more things in our home.  *Dun dun dun duuuuunnnnnn*

     When we first looked at the house we now call home, it was on a TV screen in our Realtor's office.  We saw photos of how the old owners had it and to be honest, we really loved what we saw.  Until this....

    
     Once again, excuse the photo quality.  I saved this to my cell, uploaded it to my husbands laptop which I just found out doesn't have an edit feature, so there goes me cropping it and such.  Oh well...I digress.  My husband is from Texas.  We love Texas.  We love the Dallas Cowboys, we only like the Texans. Although....JJ Watt...  

George Bridges/Getty Images

      ........Anyway...... That room is our dining room, their man-room, maybe?  I don't know.  Lucky for us, when we did our first walk-through, they had painted over it and turned it in to a make-shift office.  One less thing for us to do, so we were happy.  

     When you walk through a house with the intent to buy it, you miss certain things in your excitement.  At least I do.  My head fills with visions of what I would do to a room, etc.   I get so worked up and giddy that my brain just skips over crucial things that look bad, or should be fixed.  Take the dining room, for example.  Yes, they repainted it, but like the incident with the leaky washer lines, it wasn't done well.  It took us a few days to notice it, but red and blue still show through the color they used.  They just threw on the paint and didn't tape the chair rail or base boards, so there is a crap top of paint on them.  

Exhibit A:



     Chair rail.  Base board.  It's just a terrible job.

Exhibit B:

      They didn't even take off the outlet/switch covers!!!  It was, quite literally, stuck to the wall.


HOW DID THEY NOT TAKE THESE OFF BEFORE PAINTING?!?!  
HOW DID THEY NOT TAPE OFF THE RAILING AND BASE BOARDS?!?!  

     ....I just...  They were in a hurry, trying to get their home ready to be put on the market.  I get it.  Like the old man keeps saying, "They didn't care, they were selling it."  I GET it.  Their laziness means extra work for us though and that really irks me. 

     Oh well.  We took care of it.  Ish.  They left paint behind, hopefully we can find the color they used in the dining room so we can touch up some areas, mainly the areas where the old color is showing through and the light switch plate.  We changed those out today and of course, the one we bought is smaller than the old one so the red you see in the photo is showing.  *Insert look of total disdain.*  




     So we got her all gussied up and painted like a girl of the night.  She's looking mighty fine now, if I do say so myself.  The husband got one side, I got the other and together, we took care of business.  We were like Tony Stark and Pepper Potts.  He did the hard stuff, I  made it look good and took care of everything else.  Pepper Potts would be proud.  Second project, completed!  Well, third if you count the fact that we got a new toilet seat for our bathroom today, but I doubt yall will want to see that.  

     I may suck at painting but we got the job done and done correctly.  The room just pops now with a bright, fresh coat of paint.  Perhaps we'll add some wainscoting in the near future?  Thoughts?  (Just say yes...)  

     Homeowners: 2   House Problems: 0  


2 comments:

  1. You are both doing so well with your house! Yes to the wainscoting! ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! 1 point for wainscoting! Love you too, Aunt Carmon!

    ReplyDelete