Monday, August 25, 2014

Leak-Be-Gone

     Muahaha!!!!!   The leak, the scourge of my existence, has been vanquished by the manliest man I know.  My husband. He came home from a night of defending our most basic of freedoms and then he got down and dirty on the washer lines.

The before photo.
Note the water running down the wall.
     Please excuse the quality of the photo, it was taken on my cell.  Sometimes it takes good photos, other times it too is the scourge of my existence.  Anyway, like I said in my previous post, it's a DIY nightmare. It leaked, the hoses were old and terrible, they just did an all around crappy job.  Just wait until you hear what needed to be done to fix this problem.


THE MAN.  
     We had to put a hole in the wall to see what kind of pipes we were working with.  Copper?  PVC?  We didn't know, but there's something fun about knocking a hole in a wall.  We were thinking we'd have to do so much work and I'll be honest, I was skeptical about doing it ourselves.  My God, Jim...we're not plumbers!  We were bound and determined to give it our best shot though, as this was our first project in our house.

     One thing we wanted to do was exchange their hoses for ours.  It took some work because I swear every actor in The Expendables franchise had a hand in tightening those beasts.  Once they finally came off, we connected our hoses, broke off that foam stuff and ran them through the wall to the washing machine, turned the water on and it was still leaking, although not as badly.

New setup.
     The hoses are a bit long, but hey.  Look at those shiny new things!  I'll give you a moment to find your sunglasses. Once our eyes adjusted, the husband tightened the bolts holding the valve handles to the pipe and that was all she wrote.  That was literally all those people had to do to fix the issue.  Change out the hoses and tighten two bolts.  That's it.  We can't fathom why they didn't just do that.


This is what we were dealing with. 
     How simple of a solution it was, too.  We still have to fix the wall, possibly replace that whole area with new sheetrock to prevent mold and rot from setting in, but our leaky washer line and first issue with the house we own is done!  I may, or may not, have squealed like a little girl, did a happy dance, and hugged my own version of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor.  Luckily mine didn't get hurt, fall off a roof, or run a backhoe into a house.

Homeowners: 1  House Problems: 0  

     

2 comments:

  1. YAY KENDALL!!!!!!!! So proud of you both for wanting to be the "Masters of Homowner Problems"!!!!! I know several good looking "Black" men who need to visit you and fix your sheetrock problems! ;) Doesn't look that hard----I bet Kendall could tackle that too! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when things that you think will be a huge overhaul end up being a simple fix!

    ReplyDelete