Friday, January 9, 2015

Deep Thoughts with Haley Homeowner

In an effort to stay more up-to-date with the blog, I'm writing, probably about nothing of any importance, again! Sometimes when I write with nothing in mind, I get a really good post out of it. Other times it's a jumbled mess of words that make no sense so I'll do my best to keep that from happening. I make no promises though.

Being a homeowner is fun, it really is.  I recommend it to everyone who can afford it and make it happen, it's a great investment for a family. What's not fun is being responsible for anything that breaks, but that's mainly because I don't like spending money on broken stuff.  I'd rather spend money on fun things, things we WANT to do instead of things we HAVE to do.  Make sense?

RUN LITTLE HALEY JOEL OSMENT!!! RUN!!!  


What probably sucks the most is that all of what we (I say we, it's really more of a 'me' thing) want to do comes with a hefty price tag.

- Windows, I'd like them replaced with more energy efficient windows.
- The carpet, I thought I'd like berber carpet, but you know, we have dogs so I don't like it anymore. Snags - snags everywhere.  I'd love to update the carpet throughout the house.
- Our back door is pretty old, I'd love to take it out and put in French doors.  We also have a screen that pulls across the doorway so we can keep the back door open in nice weather - broken.  It's broken.
- Our front door and the screen door.  The door is just old looking and the screen door is shot.
- Blinds.  The majority of the house has excellent blinds, venetian blinds, I love them.  Our kitchen however has black blinds that just...don't belong. I'd love to update those to venetian blinds to keep them the same as the rest of the house. The fan in our kitchen is also black, it doesn't match anything...
- The ceiling in our dining room. It's got to go.  There was a previous leak and then we had our own mishap a while back, it just needs to be replaced.
- Landscaping in our front yard.  We got a quote from a lawn care service to fix our irrigation issues and then to take care of our yard and do some landscaping out front.  Yeah, that's not cheap.
- Our oven.  There's nothing wrong with it, I just WANT a new one because I'm weird. We also want to take out the cabinets over the oven (for a short girl like me, they're the devil,) and add in the microwave/vent thing.  We have no space in our kitchen for the microwave at the moment.  It's sitting on the floor in our dining room.
- The kids bathroom.  All of it.
- Our bathroom.  I'd love to update the Jacuzzi tub.
- Caulking.  We have some caulking to do.
- Our fireplace.


See?  I don't want to do much in our house!


My parents, and anyone who has ever owned a home, say that you never stop building your house. I can see how that would be true because of all the things we'd like to do and change in ours. It will take time and unfortunately, money to do it but that's the beauty of it.  We have the time, maybe we're not rolling in the dough, but eventually...as soon as we rob that bank.  When my husband retires from the military, we don't HAVE to leave like we would in government housing. We can stay here until the kids graduate high school if we wanted.  We can sell the house and move to Timbuktu if we wanted to.  It's ours, we'll do what we want.  To pay respect to the late, great, Stuart Scott - BOOYA!

I really do love being a homeowner.  It's easy to get down on things and complain when something breaks, but let's face it, no one likes when something doesn't work properly.  I've had a more positive outlook on things since I posted about Murphy's Law back in November.  It's a great thing to own a home, it's a massive responsibility but it's one I'm excited to have.  Plus I have a pretty good partner in this home owning adventure, so that helps.  I've really been thinking about it lately, the responsibility of it, the highs, the lows.  It's a normal thing that everyone experiences multiple times in their homes, I'm not alone. Truth be told, I wish we could've bought a house years ago. We're older and wiser at this point in our lives though so it's probably good that we took this long.

Now, in closing, since I titled this post "Deep Thoughts," I'll leave you with my favorite quote from Deep Thoughts, with Jack Handey:


It has nothing to do with owning a home...

1 comment:

  1. Love it and everything you said is sooooo true! Love you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete