Monday, February 23, 2015

Adventures in HVAC


Another project was completed today, on one of the coldest days we've had recently.  Our new HVAC system! This was another project started by Lowe's, again, I highly recommend going to them for all your home owning needs.  (They did not pay me to say this, but if they wanted to, I'm open to the idea.  Hint, hint Lowe's CEO.)

Since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to these things, I'll let the pictures do the talking...


Lowe's.  Durh.  Is there anyone else?!





This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we had to work with last summer...
 It got the job done, but just barely.  On one of the hotter days, it was 82 degrees inside our home, we were miserable.  We're more of a 68-degree-in-the-summer kinda family, so yeah.  It was quite unbearable for us.


This is our water heater, those lines running up the attic is what used to heat our house.


 My husband and I had never seen this particular set-up before.  My family has always had central heating and cooling, as has every home we've lived in since I married my husband.  Well, Japan didn't.  The base had total control of your heating and cooling, which sucked donkey balls.  There I said it.  Get a better system, CFAY!  Anyway, I digress.  It took us forever to figure out how to turn our heat on, I believe I posted about that this past Fall.

Our old thermostat, which worked just fine, but still, a "before" photo was warranted. 



 Okie dokie smokie! On to today!  We signed our contract with Lowe's about 2 weeks ago and this would've happened last week if not for all the snow we got.  Lowe's is on top of things when it comes to their install teams, which works well for the consumer (me) and is one of the many reasons they're our go-to.  The guys over at Climate Control, which is the company Lowe's contracts through for heating and cooling in my area, were here at 0800 on the dot and worked their butts off, in the freezing cold and sleeting rain, until 1600.  That's 8AM until 4PM for you non 24-hour clock folks. The house had no heat during that time frame and got as cold as 55 degrees.  They also ran in to a problem with our water heater, a valve broke so water had to be shut off for the entire house, yet they still took the time to fix that for me on top of all their other work.  Stellar dudes in my opinion.

Now on to the photos!  Starting with the one thing I forgot to get a "before" photo of, the furnace, or, you know, whatever the hell this is.


I am kicking myself for not getting a picture of this beforehand because it looked shoddy and extremely old.  Not anymore baby!  WE GOT A TRANE!  I know nothing about it, so let us move on.  "The world has moved on since then,"  a little shoutout to lovers of the Dark Tower series by the great Stephen King.


They capped off the lines on the water heater as we now have heating from our outdoor unit. No longer will we not have enough hot water because it was being used to heat our house!  Now our water will remain hot for as long as we need it!  Late-night baths will no longer be lukewarm and quick!  SUCCESS!


Now on to the big daddy...

Trane XR
The HOSS.  Doesn't that just look a million times better than what we had?  Well, it is and it's great and I love it.




It's heating so much faster than the old way, the heat feels warmer, if that makes sense, and it's amazing and I love it.  Did I mention that already?  It's not the biggest system Trane had to offer, but it wasn't the smallest either, plus this just fits perfectly with what we needed from our system.



Our new, DIGITAL, thermostat. It seems kinda complicated to me, but the guy who was showing me how to operate it seemed to know exactly what he was doing, and if he can learn, so can I.


That's all of the photos and pretty much all of my knowledge on this subject.


Well...WO-man but you get the idea.  We finally have a new HVAC system, which is working wonderfully for heating and I'm excited to see what this baby can do in the winter.






6 comments:

  1. So glad you have heat now and you can take a LONG HOT shower tonight! LOL Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite having an old heating machinery that still works quite fine, it’s good to know that you had an upgrade, and that things are in a much faster and better phase now. Houses requires heating, especially on cold seasons, and it wouldn’t hurt to have a great heating model rather that an ok one. Thanks for sharing!


    Randall Rogers @ R J Heating and Cooling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new HVAC system. That's a big investment but it will certainly deliver great returns to you and your family in the years to come. I've had to make do with just a small electrical heating unit during winter before and it could get uncomfortable. I'm glad that you made these changes. It should be better for your pocket.

    Wilfred Andrews @ LB Plumbing and Heating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maintaining your own house is quite and adventure. I love reading about yours. I know when we bought our house, there were a lot of projects that went on the to-do list that we still need to check off. I think this summer is when we are going to get a bunch done as we are both teachers in schools.

    Rosa Nelson @ HVAC Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lot of work, but so glad that you have running hot water now. Trying to convince my husband to change ours. It has been leaking for months now and he just has not managed to get to fixing it. Maybe I should just replace it all together. Thank you for the inspirational write up, kind regards.

    Shayne Gustafson @ Berico Heating and Air

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new HVAC system. That's a big investment but it will certainly deliver great returns to you and your family in the years to come. I've had to make do with just a small electrical heating unit during winter before and it could get uncomfortable. I'm glad that you made these changes. It should be better for your pocket.selling more HVAC contracts

    ReplyDelete